The debate of whether online education is equitable to on the ground education or vice a versa is tired, worn out and predictable. Common, lets move on already. The war is over. Online education has arrived and is here to stay. We are past the early adoption phase. Millions of Americans are taking online classes and our energies would be better serve them if we debated some of the next steps, formulated and tested theories, argued about how to improve the technology and what about the long term implications of online education! We are a capitalistic society and online education is a commodity. Ultimately it will be the consumer (learner and employer) who will drive the quality of education up or down. Demand more, argue less and focus on the future.
We need to start thinking beyond the differences and start thinking about the implications. Ethanol comes to mind; like the idea to use corn for fuel. The debate raged. Ethanol isn’t better than oil, ethanol is better than oil. Back n’ forth. With everyone consumed with that argument we forgot about the implications of removing corn from the food market resulting in increased food prices.
So, what are the implications to society as online education becomes even more prevalent that it is now? Take the long term family implications of online learning for example. My children are fifteen and eighteen years from taking their first college courses – assuming they go to college. If they choose an online education what does that mean? Will they stay at home longer? By that time and with oil prices the way they are I am sure telecommuting will be common place. Oh boy! Are you following me? Will our family unit in America be more like the units in Asia and Arabia where the children don’t leave home?
What about all those ties you make in on the ground education? The old boy’s network. How will online education affect the current class system in higher education? Will online education polarize this paradigm even more or will the increased access to education level the playing field?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Jason,
I'm not sure if this is your 'official' post for this week, but it definitely raises an interesting question…
Being one of those people that straddles the divide, I have days where I say "Wow! That new technology is SO cool!" and others where I just want to go back to the "good 'ol days". But, you're right; technology is here to stay. And whether or not it’s *better* than face-to-face might be a moot point. Maybe we should spend some time looking at how to improve online education, and take a closer look at how this shift might affect our day-to-day… or our grandchildren’s day-to-day.
Tony
Jason,
I love this post because you are right online education is going to be around for a long time, it is just a matter of mastering the skills and taking it to the next level.
You made me think about a great point about our children and the school system. Since I believe yours are the same age as mine, that is a ways away. So if we master this skill of online education, does that mean the traditional institution will change and children will stay home. Speaking as a parent I hope not. I know you were just making a point, but I really started thinking about a world in the future with more online education than f2f. WOW.. it kind of scares me.
Thanks for adding to my nightmares tonight. :)
Teri
Post a Comment