The problem with Chestnut trees is that the nuts don't taste good over an open fire, or at least I can't get them tasting right. The buggers also drop these spiny nut casings, often void of the nut which was harvested by squirrels while on the tree. These porcupine like casings absolutely kill when you step on them with bare feet. You know how we do it here in WV; there is a real shortage of shoes so we are always walking around getting our feet dirty and of course if you have Chestnut trees close by you'll pull up your foot faster then a water bug in a pond full of bass. Ouch!
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Chestnut Trees
I made it to my back porch in time to enjoy the sunset. Irises and Peonies are in bloom. That's a red Geraneom in the pot on the brick and there is a little Willow tree back a ways to the right. The big tree in back that centers the picture is a Hickory tree. No shortage of squirrels around here with that tree and some Chestnut trees we have along the side.
The problem with Chestnut trees is that the nuts don't taste good over an open fire, or at least I can't get them tasting right. The buggers also drop these spiny nut casings, often void of the nut which was harvested by squirrels while on the tree. These porcupine like casings absolutely kill when you step on them with bare feet. You know how we do it here in WV; there is a real shortage of shoes so we are always walking around getting our feet dirty and of course if you have Chestnut trees close by you'll pull up your foot faster then a water bug in a pond full of bass. Ouch!
The problem with Chestnut trees is that the nuts don't taste good over an open fire, or at least I can't get them tasting right. The buggers also drop these spiny nut casings, often void of the nut which was harvested by squirrels while on the tree. These porcupine like casings absolutely kill when you step on them with bare feet. You know how we do it here in WV; there is a real shortage of shoes so we are always walking around getting our feet dirty and of course if you have Chestnut trees close by you'll pull up your foot faster then a water bug in a pond full of bass. Ouch!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hi Jason,
Congrats on finishing up your coursework! You have a beautiful (back?) yard.
Bob
Hey Jason,
You may have to explain that last colloquialism about water bugs and bass to some of us city slickers. ;-)
I like the view off your backporch as well. Looking at the map, it appears you're not far from Frederick, MD; where I have a friend!
~brian
What a beautiful location. Is that your backyard, frontyard, or just a hide-away. Anyway it is, I think I could find myself some piece and quiet away from my two toddlers and husband. Ahhh.
Post a Comment